Sunday, February 5, 2012

Strawberry Donuts: 1 Donut a day keep your gloom away!

I know a lot of people who can't say know to fried things, and yes me included ^^. You name it I eat it, haha, that's me!

Strawberry Donuts
And because donut is in this category, so I love it too. But I rarely make it at home, due to the fact that I end up eating too much, -*-. Anyway for this time I have a good reason to make it, because I want to try the recipe, that's the great reason for me. The book is ........................, and I can tell you that I kept it for a long time before trying something. I bought it about 1year ago, and it always makes me feeling bad if I still didn't use it.Finally, I made it now, haha, and I'm so happy with the result.
This one is yeast donut, and if you made bread before, it's the same method, except you will fry it rather than baking it. I think the texture of it is very good, it's soft but not much to lose it shape. For the coating part, I'm lucky that I get delicious coating chocolate from my friend, it's easier than using white chocolate because you don't have to tempering it. But if you can't find the coating chocolate that you're happy with it, I suggest you to use the real white chocolate instead. The color that I use is the candy color, it's oil base and designed to be use with chocolate. Don't use gel color, it's water base and will make the chocolate "seize" or turn hard and grainy.






Strawberry Donuts
Makes 5


150g ............................... All purpose flour
3g .................................... Instant yeast
20g ................................. Granulated sugar
2g .................................... Salt
50g ................................. Milk
50g ................................. Egg (about 1 egg)
15g .................................. Unsalted butter
200g ............................... White coating chocolate 
......................................... Pink chocolate coloring
......................................... Dried strawberry, cut into small pieces



Mix together egg and milk.
Put the flour, the sugar and yeast in a bowl, whisk to combine, add and salt whisk again. Pour the egg and milk mixture into the bowl.
Use large spoon (or pastry scraper) to mix everything together, and knead briefly to bring all the ingredients together.
Take the dough out of the bowl and knead, you will see the dough will be elastic after about 2 minutes.
Add the butter and knead by using the heel of your hands to compress and push the dough away from you, then fold it back over itself. Give the dough a little turn and repeat. Put the weight of your body into the motion and get into a rhythm. Keep folding over and compressing the dough. Knead for 10-15 minutes or until the dough is soft, pliable, smooth and slightly shiny, almost satiny.
See how to knead bread, here.


 Put the dough into a light buttered bowl. Let the dough rise in a warm place until double in size (can be 1 hour or 1 hour and a half check often depend on the temperature).
 Take the dough out of the bowl, deflate by touch it lightly.
Cut the dough into 5pieces,(I make 2 batches) roll into a ball and let them rest for 15 minutes.
Press the dough and roll it into cylinder shape about 20cm long, do the same for the rest of the dough.
Press one end of the dough, join the ends. Place on a non-stick baking paper, cover with a clean cloth, and let rest until risen in a draft-free spot,  30 minutes.
 Ready to go!
Preheat the oil in a deep fryer to 170°C. Gently place the donuts into the oil. Cook until golden on both sides, then remove to drain on paper towels. 




Melt the coating chocolate and mix with pink coloring.
Dip the donuts into the chocolate and decorate with dried strawberry.


Strawberry Donuts

Strawberry Donuts: 
1 Donut a day keep your gloom away!

6 comments:

  1. I've never had strawberry doughnuts but these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The doughnuts look beautiful, well done ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty and sweet. I hope I do it like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did this without donut cutter but they look so neat and uniform! Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...