Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Taiyaki with Vanilla Custard Filling: カスタードたい焼き

I think Taiyaki (たい焼き) is one of strange Japanese snack, ^^ why sweet food comes in fish-shaped,  but it doesn't matter as long as it's delicious, right?

たい焼きpan
I wanted to buy a Taiyaki pan a long time ago but as you know that I have too many gadgets, pans and etc., I didn't want to add more things into my storage, hehe. But last week, my sister asked me "Can you make Taiyaki without the pan?" I said "Yes", but in my mind, I think that if it's not a fish-shaped, it's not Taiyaki. Because the batter that we use for making Taiyaki is close to the pancake or waffle, so can you call it Taiyaki? I don't think so.
Finally I decided to buy the Taiyaki pan, so I can make real Taiyaki. You can buy it easily (and it's not expensive), the non-stick one that use with stovetop is a good choice. But if you want to make a lot electric pan is easy to use to. 
Because my niece and nephew don't like sweetened red bean paste so I make the one with custard filling instead. With more corn starch in the custard it's firmer when piping and stay in place better. You can make thicker Taiyaki by pour the batter into both pan and cook until almost done, then pipe the filling and sandwich them together (you will have less Taiyaki than mine). But with my method you will have a small one with filling inside ^^. There are a lot of variations, I think about making green tea, chocolate and savoury flavours, well, will show you if I make it again.
Serve it with a cup of tea is what I like, anyway don't mistaken it for fish, hehe. 



Taiyaki with Vanilla Custard Filling: カスタードたい焼き
Makes 10-11 pieces  



Taiyaki Batter 
150g .................................... Cake flour
1tsp ..................................... Baking powder
1/2tsp .................................. Baking soda
50g ...................................... Light brown sugar
1 .......................................... Egg
180g .................................... Milk
............................................. Pinch of salt
............................................. Butter for brushing the pan
Custard cream
-240g ................................ Milk
-20g .................................. Corn starch
-57g .................................. Granulated sugar
-1/2tsp .............................. Vanilla bean paste
- ........................................ Pinch of salt
-1...................................... Egg
-30g .................................. Unsalted butter, soft

Make Custard cream
Warm the milk until almost boil.
Meanwhile whisk the egg, corn starch, vanilla bean paste, salt and sugar together in a small saucepan.
When the milk become hot, slowly pour into the saucepan, whisk all the time.


Then place the pan over low heat until boil, whisk all the time.


 Remove from the heat and stir in the butter.


 Place plastic wrap directly over the pastry cream.
Let it cool to room temperature before using.


 Put egg, sugar, salt and milk into a bowl, whisk to combine.
Sift the flour, baking soda and baking powder into a bowl.


 Whisk to combine.
Let the batter rest for 30 minutes before using.


 Heat the Taiyaki pan over medium low heat. Brush it with butter.
Pour the batter into the molds and pipe the custard in the center of the batter.
Pour a spoonful of batter over the custard (try to cover it completely).
Close the lid and flip the pan.
Cook for 2-2.5 minutes each side. Open and check to see if Taiyaki is golden color. Let Taiyaki cool on a wire rack.


Taiyaki with Vanilla Custard Filling: カスタードたい焼き

1 comment:

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...